Thursday 26 August 2010

The funny guy in the office decides to give comedy a go...

Today is the day I decided to try stand-up comedy. I've always been a huge fan of stand-up and have a great admiration for all those funny f*ckers who have the balls to get up on that stage and do their thang!

A few times I have thought about giving open mic a go, but being the so-called "funny guy in the office" is one thing, getting up in front of a bunch of strangers is a completely different ball game, and I have never even come remotely close to actually giving in to the temptation... That is until about two weeks ago.

I found out recently that a friend of mine has been doing open mic comedy for about 10 months now. Gemma Beagley, who I have known since we were teenagers on the mean streets of Mitcham, was telling me how she got started after attending a comedy course. "Why don't you come down and give it a go?" she said.

I went back to the office and happened to mention this to a few people and before you knew it I was being encouraged to try it out from all directions. Well, by the person sitting next to me, and the person sitting directly opposite me. And sometimes the cleaner when I'm working late and we crack a few vacuum-related jokes. Ah, good times...

To cut a long story short, I resisted their pleas for just enough time to have my ego rubbed a sufficient amount before giving in and agreeing to try it out. After all, you only live once. At least I can say I gave it a go and have no regrets.

Unless I die on my arse and it completely knocks my self-esteem and confidence to ground zero. I'd probably regret it then!

No comments :

Post a Comment