Thursday 8 March 2012

The dream to be the Next Big Thing comes to an end... for now!

Steven Scaffardi, The Drought, Stand Up Comedy, Stand Up Comedian, Comedian, Comedy, Lad Lit, Chick lit for men, funny books,
Diary of a stand-up comedian Entry #52
After such a fantastic response from the judges in my first round heat in the Next Big Thing talent competition, I was met with a somewhat subdued reaction from the crowd at Confex at the London Excel arena today.

The fact I had not performed in three months wasn't actually the issue though. It was more to do with the fact that I was in completely alien environment! I am used to performing in pubs and bars, but this was totally different! Despite the professional stage and being able to say I performed at the 'London Excel', I was in fact having to perform a rather risqué comedy routine in the middle of a trade show exhibition at around midday!

Steven Scaffardi, The Drought, Stand Up Comedy, Stand Up Comedian, Comedian, Comedy, Lad Lit, Chick lit for men, funny books, My anecdotes of failed encounters with the opposite sex and that dwarf story did not go down too well with business people who were there to look at how different products and services might improve their business! Still, it was a pretty cool experience and because I decided before the end of the year that I was going to take a break from the comedy scene, I wasn't too bothered when the audience gave me a pretty average score.

The talent agency Sternberg Clarke said it best on their blog when they wrote: Stand-Up Comedian Steven Scaffardi had been a crowd favourite in the first heat at Jewel for Event Magazine's Christmas Party but struggled to overcome the challenges of performing at a trade show; a lesson for any performer there - be ready to adapt to your surroundings.

I guess I won't hold my breath waiting for a call from the Plumbers Trade Show Live event to give me a call then about performing! 

No comments :

Post a Comment